×

Jackson man charged in fatal Fayette shooting identified

By Kristopher White Jan 31, 2024 | 3:00 PM

NATCHEZ, Miss. (WJTV) – Authorities identified the Jackson man charged in connection to a deadly drive-by shooting in Fayette.

The Natchez Democrat reported the man was identified as 20-year-old Gary DeWayne Wilson, Jr. Two 17-year-olds from Natchez were also charged in connection to the shooting.

Jefferson County deputies said the shooting happened on Highway 61 on Thursday, January 18.

Investigators said the victim, 19-year-old Robert Campbell, Jr., of Natchez, called 911 and said he had been shot.

When authorities arrived at the location, they found a silver Chevrolet pickup in the median of the highway with multiple bullet holes in the driver’s side door.

Campbell was found at the location, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

The suspects face charges of murder drive-by shooting, conspiracy to commit murder, and shooting into an occupied vehicle.

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, agents with Mississippi Bureau of Investigations (MBI), and the Mississippi Highway Patrol (MHP) are investigating the shooting.