JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said Atmos Energy discovered gas leaks in South Jackson weeks before two homes exploded.
The first explosion happened on January 24, 2024 at a home on Bristol Boulevard. One person died during the incident. The Hinds County coroner said the person is suspected to be Clara Barber, 82.
The second explosion occurred on Shalimar Drive on January 27, 2024, about 0.7 miles southeast of the first explosion. The fire spread to a neighboring home. No fatalities or injuries were reported during the second explosion.
According to the NTSB, natural gas service to the affected homes was provided by Atmos Energy. The company’s natural gas distribution system near locations one and two was constructed of two-inch coated steel main and installed in the 1960s and early 1970s.
Before the explosions, the NTSB team said Atmos identified and classified leaks on their distribution system near locations one and two.
The leak nearest to location one was discovered on November 11, 2023, and classified as a grade-2 leak. Officials said it was nonhazardous but would require repair in the future.
The leak nearest to location two was discovered on December 1, 2023, and was classified as a grade-3 leak, which is also nonhazardous.
According to the NTSB, neither leak was repaired before the explosions.
Both before and after NTSB investigators arrived, officials said Atmos conducted post-accident leak inspections at both locations and found leaks on mechanical couplings near the previously identified leaks. Atmos detected subsurface gas at the leaks nearest locations one and two, and near the foundations of adjacent homes.
While on scene, NTSB investigators examined the sites where the explosions and fires occurred, gathered documentation, completed interviews, and recovered physical evidence from both locations for examination by the NTSB Materials Laboratory.
The NTSB’s investigation is ongoing.
Officials with Atmos Energy released a statement to WJTV 12 News. They said, “The NTSB report confirms that the investigation is ongoing and future activity will focus on causal factors. The safety of our customers, employees, and communities is Atmos Energy’s highest priority. We appreciate the NTSB’s investigative efforts and will continue to work with their team, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, and the Mississippi Public Service Commission as the investigation continues.”
After the report was released, U.S. Representative Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) requested an in-person briefing to examine the circumstances of the explosions.
“The safety and well-being of our communities are paramount, and it is imperative that we take these incidents seriously. The potential risks posed by natural gas cannot be understated, and we must ensure that all necessary measures are in place to prevent such tragedies from occurring in the future,” Thompson stated.
